How to unblock American channels on Roku Premier Plus outside USA? The Roku Premiere+ probably is the most powerful streaming device money can buy at the moment. A question I get asked a lot is whether you can use Roku Premiere+ in Canada, UK, Australia, Spain, Mexico, Germany, or France. In terms of streaming channels, the best Roku region is USA. That’s why I prepared this guide. Learn how to use VPN or Smart DNS proxies to unblock and watch American channels on Roku Premiere Plus outside USA.
Get American Channels on Roku Premiere Plus outside USA
- 1 Create Your American Roku Account Outside USA
- 2 Watch American Channels on Roku Premiere+ outside USA using Smart DNS
- 3 Unblock US Channels on Roku Premiere Plus Abroad with VPN
- 4 Roku Premiere Plus Price & Features
- 5 Best Apps on Roku Premiere+
- 6 How to Unblock American Channels on Roku Premiere Plus outside USA?
Create Your American Roku Account Outside USA
In order to add American channels like HBO GO, ABC GO, Hulu, or Amazon Prime to your Roku Premiere Plus, you need an American Roku account. If your planning to travel abroad, it’s best to create your Roku account before you leave the USA. In case you already own a US Roku account, you can use it overseas as well as long as you’re using VPN or Smart DNS at the same time.
If you live in Canada, Australia, UK, Mexico, or Spain and do not own a US Roku account, follow the following procedure to create one outside USA.
- First, setup VPN or Smart DNS on your PC/Mac. This is a crucial step. Without it, Roku will flag your account as non-US.
- Now, head over to https://my.roku.com/index and choose ‘Create account’.
- Then, fill in the required information and then click ‘Continue’.
- Next, choose a Pin and click ‘Continue’.
- On the next page, you have to payment options: Paypal or Credit Card.
- If you already own a Paypal account use the Paypal payment option. Your Paypal country does not affect your Roku account.
- Use a valid US address to create your American Roku account. You can use California as your state and 90210 as your zip code.
- If you choose Credit card as your payment option, you have to use your own street address that is associated with your credit card.
- Then, you need to convert the postal code into a valid zip code.
- Keep note of the City associated with the new zip as it is required for the Roku account setup.
- To create a valid zip code, take the digits from your postcode. The postal code M1Z4L3 becomes 143. Add zeros to the end if you have less than 5 digits in your postal code. So the 143 becomes ZIP 14300.
- Now that you have finalized your Roku account, reset your Roku streaming device to factory settings. Then, use the newly created American Roku account on your Roku device.
Watch American Channels on Roku Premiere+ outside USA using Smart DNS
Using your newly created US Roku account, you can now easily add American channels to your Roku device. However, you still need to use Smart DNS proxies to bypass geographic restrictions imposed on these channels. For example, if you launch HBO Go on your Roku outside USA, you receive a location error message that states that HBO is not available abroad. Smart DNS basically allows you to spoof your online location and trick these channels into thinking you currently reside in USA.
- Smart DNS does not slow down your Internet speed. This is very important if you want to stream videos in full 4K quality.
- You can use Smart DNS to unblock Hulu, HBO GO, Amazon Prime, NBC Sports, ABC Go, Vudu, and many other top American streaming channels on your Roku.
- Other than setting up Smart DNS on your router, there is no need to install any additional software to get it working.
- Some ISPs do use what’s known as transparent proxies or DNS hijacking. Keep in mind that Smart DNS does not function well in such instances.
Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy service that supports unblocking Amazon Instant Video, HBO, Hulu, Vudu, Sling TV on many others on Roku Premiere Plus. Sign up for a free 7-day Unlocator trial and then follow their videos and setup guides.
Unblock US Channels on Roku Premiere Plus Abroad with VPN
VPN is the other, and probably better known, method to get around geoblocks. By setting up a virtual private network on your router, you will be able to mask your IP address. Instead, you appear to be browsing the web using an American IP address. This process makes US channel think you currently reside in the USA. Thus, you can watch American Netflix, Sling TV, HBO Go, and others on Roku Premiere Plus outside USA.
- A US IP address allows you to unblock all American channels on all your streaming devices.
- At the same time, VPN encrypts all your traffic. Neither your ISP nor anyone else can eavesdrop on what you are doing online.
- As long as you are connected to the VPN server, you can browse the web anonymously.
- DNS hijacking and transparent proxies have no effect on VPN.
Make sure you sign up with a top VPN provider like ExpressVPN. Otherwise, your Internet speed might drop to a point where you can no longer properly watch 4K streams. Here’s our reviewed list of the best VPN services to use with Roku Premiere Plus.
Roku Premiere Plus Price & Features
- It costs around 100$
- The Premiere Plus boosts a quad-core processor.
- Streams 4K video.
- Supports HDR.
- Remote has a headphone jack for private listening.
Best Apps on Roku Premiere+
- Amazon Prime
- History Channel
- Sling TV
- Disney Channel
- HBO GO
- ABC Go
- NBC Sports
- WWE Network
- UFC Fight Pass
- NFL GamePass
- NBA League Pass
- Roku Media Player
- Fandango Now
- 4K Universe
- Curiosity Stream
- Smithsonian Earth
How to Unblock American Channels on Roku Premiere Plus outside USA?
There’s no doubt that 4K presents the future of online streaming. More and more content is being made available in Ultra HD. The Roku Premiere Plus presents an excellent, powerful, and reasonably priced streaming device. The only downside is that the streaming channels you get are very limited outside USA. By using VPN or Smart DNS, you can unblock US channels on Roku Premiere+ and get the most out of your 4K streaming device.